All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on. --Havelock Ellis

Monday, August 8, 2011

Kakira: "I'll give you some medicine...my fist in your face"

Rain, rain, rain all day. It's actually nice, since it cools the place down and keeps it from being dusty. The thing about rain here is that everything stops when it's raining. People don't have cars or umbrellas and most of the roads are dirt, so rain means you're stuck in your house/workplace/wherever. Unlike in the U.S., "it was raining" is an acceptable excuse for not going to work.

On a completely unrelated note, one thing I've run into here that I'm not going to miss is that cops and security guards can stop you to flirt with you and there's nothing you can do about it. Not that that CAN'T happen in the U.S., but you can at least report the person and it's not very common anyway. Becky and I have to stop at a security checkpoint every time we come from town because of the Kakira Sugar Factory, and the guards always stop us for longer than everyone else so that they can talk to us. One time we had a guy who was like, "I'm sick...can you give me some medicine?" *wink* I say we, but really he was flirting with Becky since my general ice-queen vibe didn't make him think that I was interested. She pretended not to understand, and eventually we got through. I was like, "See, this is why I don't talk to people."

But I hate that I have to fear the guards and the cops, because who's going to help me in case of trouble--the boda driver? It will be nice to go home where there's at least a functional police force. Speaking of bodas and trouble though, when I headed to town for the safari last Thursday, the guy was NOT taking me in the direction of the main road, like I had asked. And I was like, "This isn't the way to the main road..." And he was like, "Oh, you wanted to go to the main road? It's 1000" while not turning. And I was like, "PEACE" and hopped off the bike. Not fun times.

Meanwhile, at work today, we didn't do much. On Friday, there was a meeting that I missed because I was going on safari with the parents at Kagogwa Primary, and apparently it went really well. People were singing and dancing and there was lots of hand-shaking, etc. So it's really exciting that people are enthused about the project. This week we really just need to tie up loose ends--finish a workplan to leave with the school, write up our final reports and budget, and that sort of thing.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, I am getting better--I went to a legit doctor in town and she prescribed me an antibiotic for amoeba, which I probably have, and it's been making me a lot better. I can eat now! I'm actually hungry all the time, which is comforting. I'm leaving a week from tomorrow...crazy.

1 comment:

  1. When describing the scene between you, Becky, and the officer, I pictured you as Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada.

    I can't believe you're leaving next week. But then again, it feels (to me) like you've been there forever.

    ReplyDelete