All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on. --Havelock Ellis

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Kakira: I DON'T LIKE MANGO JUICE. BECKY DOESN'T LIKE MANGO JUICE. NO ONE LIKES MANGO JUICE.

Well, Mama Fina just stormed in to our room when she found out Becky was sick. She made me change the sheets (on both beds...I'm not even sick), made Becky shower, moved all of our stuff around and put blankets on our stuff. Apparently people are coming over to visit Becky because she's sick (she has medicine and we've talked to a good doctor and everything, lest you think I am not worried enough). Is it just a cultural thing in Uganda that sick care sucks?

People always think you should eat more when you have stomach problems. They always want to come in and clean your room when all you want to do is sleep. You're supposed to exercise when you're sick and not sleep. And Mama Fina keeps trying to force feed us mango juice. She did it when I was hospitalized and vomiting every two hours or so, and she's doing it with Becky now. When Becky said she didn't want it, Fina thrust it at me and said, "Lynne. You drink." We have never, ever liked mango juice, asked for mango juice, drank it unless forced, etc. (Yes, we know it's cause she cares. It doesn't make the episode less annoying.)

"Saagala mango juice, Mama Fina."

"Eeehh? You not drink, I spend my money..." Well, we didn't ask for mango juice, so maybe you shouldn't have gone out and bought it. We need to get out of Uganda before either of us gets sick again.

Also, on a sad note, our favorite host brother Ali left us today. The three of us had some really good conversations about America, Uganda, and about religion. Ali is a devout Muslim and Uganda has a lot of Islamaphobia, which he's had trouble with. In school, the other kids used to call him "Ali-Shabbab" after the Muslim terrorist group that operates in Kampala. But he was always very open-minded and really wanted to hear about the U.S., and even though we usually didn't change each others' minds, we were able to hear each other out.

When he left, he sat us down and said, "I really used to hate America, but you have shown me that Americans are good people. It is now my dream to go to America one day. You are my best friends and my sisters...I have something to ask, but I want you to promise that you will still be my sisters afterwards. I wanted to invite you to Islam, for two reasons: One because then you will really be my sisters, and Two because it has brought me joy and I want you to have the same joy as well."

He didn't expect us to convert on the spot or anything; he told us that it was the best gift he could think to give us, so we both appreciated it in the spirit that it was meant. I don't think I'll be converting any time soon, but when I go back to college, I will take a class or two on Islam if I can, because I want to learn more about it.

Ali, who is 21, left to go to Busitema University. (It may sound old, but it's a normal age to start college here.) He has a full government sponsorship to study computer engineering. Best of luck Ali! I hope we meet again someday!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's so cool to have an experience like that with Ali. I wish him luck! I also hope Becky gets better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to Ali! Hopefully Assembler language will treat him well!

    ReplyDelete