All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on. --Havelock Ellis

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Kakira: He's coming in your compounds, snatching your cows up

A few days ago, somebody broke into our compound in the middle of the night and STOLE TWO OF OUR COWS. (I forgot to mention this in the last post.) They only got into the outer yard, since the inner yard in the back was locked and the front of the house was locked. But still. How do you steal two full-sized cows without anyone hearing you?! It's totally sucks since we get milk from those cows and the three calves kind of need their milk too. We actually found one, which is now safely in the yard, but we're still down one cow. Not cool, mystery cow thief.

On another unhappy note, the water shortage is pretty dire. There is simply no water coming out of the taps anywhere, even at the public water source. The closest water is over at the police station, which is pretty far, especially at night. And the water at the station isn't really safe, either. You can boil it, but it still has a lot of dirt and stuff in it (I've been drinking it--I know). Nobody knows when the water will come back on, but until then, Kakira basically has no water, since most people can't afford to buy bottled.

Work is moving very slowly, but we're going to meet with the committees that we formed on Friday (one to manage the borehole and one to manage the farm/garden) so that we can get started. We haven't done much over the past two days...I'm working on my fourth novel. It's a collection of Herman Melville's short novels; I'm currently on the last one. I'm borrowing a book from Billy to read when I'm done with Herman.

Pretty much. The power's out again, so I'm going to sign off here.

3 comments:

  1. Telekinetically willing y'all some water. Good luck and godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find the other cow and that you get some more water soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright. You've had enough wildlife fun. I will be glad when you get home.

    ReplyDelete